You may be driving on a suspended driver’s license and not even be aware of the suspension. One way this can occur is through an unsatisfied civil judgment. If you are sued and the Plaintiff obtains money damages from you and a judgment is entered, your failure to pay the judgment can result in a license suspension. The judgment creditor can file documents to have your license suspended with the Transportation Cabinet. You should receive a notice letter from the Cabinet informing you of the suspension, but there are times when the address on your driver’s license is not the same as your mailing address. The first time you learn of the suspension is when you receive a speeding ticket or are involved in an auto accident. Operating on a suspended license carries serious penalties. To avoid potential criminal liability, be sure to pay any civil judgments.
CATEGORIES: Criminal Law